Sosinou Monastery, Ano Parakalamos of Pogoni

Χωροι & μνημεια Sosinou Monastery, Ano Parakalamos of Pogoni

The Sosinou Monastery is built on a hill of strategic significance, on the interior of an ancient acropolis’ enclosure with a polygonal wall dating back to the 4th century BC. It is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin and its foundation dates back to the late Byzantine period. The monastery’s catholicon dates to 1598. The narthex and the open narthex on the west side are subsequent interventions.

The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes dating back to 1601/2 and 1838. The sanctuary and the narthex preserve the representations of the monastery’s founder, Ioannis Simotas, a rich expatriate from Moldavia, and of Ioannis and Emmanuel Kondaratos and Kyritzis Ioannakis.

The Monastery had a large real estate, a rich library and relics, while from the 17th to the beginning of the 18th century a school with eminent teachers operated in it. The Monastery ceased its operation in 1925 and in 1928 came under the jurisdiction of the Metropolis.

            Athena Zogaki

Skip to content